What are the differences between Gore-Tex© and Sympatex©?
At Lagoped, our waterproof clothing is all equipped with a Sympatex membrane © . Less used than the Gore-Tex membrane © in common language, it seemed essential to us to take stock of these two membranes in order to help you make the best choice.
What are the differences between Gore-Tex membranes © and Sympatex © ?
Gore-Tex membranes © and Sympatex © are two of the most commonly used technologies in the manufacture of mountain jackets and other waterproof and breathable clothing. Here is an overview of the differences between these two materials:
1. Origin and manufacture:
Gore-Tex © : The Gore-Tex membrane was developed by WL Gore & Associates, an American manufacturer. It is made from expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE), a synthetic polymer. The Gore-Tex membrane is known for its great durability and waterproofing.
Sympatex © : The Sympatex membrane is also made from synthetic polymers. It is produced by Sympatex Technologies GmbH, a German company. Sympatex highlights the sustainability and environmental performance of its products.
2. Waterproofing and breathability:
- Gore-Tex © : Gore-Tex is renowned for its excellent waterproofing while providing good breathability. The Gore-Tex membrane is designed to keep water out while allowing body moisture vapor to escape, keeping you dry and comfortable.
- Sympatex © : Sympatex also offers good waterproofing and breathability. Clothing with the Sympatex membrane is designed to wick away perspiration while preventing water from penetrating.
3. Sustainability and ecology:
- Gore-Tex © : Gore-Tex is committed to improving the durability of its products. They have initiatives to reduce the environmental impact of their production.
- Sympatex © : Sympatex places emphasis on ecology and sustainability. They boast of being an environmentally friendly membrane, produced without environmentally harmful PFCs (perfluorinated compounds) and from a plastic that can be recycled easily like a PET bottle. Their goal is to only use recycled materials for the production of their new membranes.
- Gore-Tex © : Gore-Tex products are used in a wide range of outdoor activities, including mountaineering, skiing, hiking and running. They offer different versions of membranes for different applications.
- Sympatex © : Sympatex is also used in various outdoor activities, including hiking, skiing and cycling.
In the mountains, as on the oceans, the Sympatex membrane provides waterproofing to Lagoped clothing.
- Products using Gore-Tex membranes are often perceived to be more expensive than those using Sympatex, although this can vary depending on the brand and specific features of the garment.
Ultimately, choosing between Gore-Tex and Sympatex will depend on your personal needs, environmental concerns, and budget. Both membranes offer good performance in terms of waterproofing and breathability, but Sympatex stands out for its commitment to ecology. This is why we chose the Sympatex membrane when designing Lagoped waterproof clothing.
To equip yourself in an informed manner, we will always invite you to find out about the characteristics of the products. This is why, on our blog, you will find transparent articles on our choices of raw materials and technologies.
D'autres articles qui devraient vous plaire